New Baby-What do You Really Need?
The excitement of bringing your new baby home can be a fun, yet frustrating time. For first time parents, making sure that they have all of the equipment they will need to feed, bath, dress, and entertain their baby can be a nightmare. Wouldn't it be easier if someone just make up a checklist of the necessities? Well look no further because we have assembled a list of the essential equipment you will need when the time has come to bring home your little bundle of joy!
In the NurserySetting up a first time nursery may seem like a never-ending chore, but once you have a few basics you can relax and enjoy the rest!
- Crib mattress and waterproof mattress liner.
- Crib sheets and soft "bumpers".
- Small, soft toys for play.
- Receiving blankets for cool evenings.
- Changing table, complete with a supply of nappies, wipes, ointment, powder and a sealable rubbish bin nearby.
- Rocking chair for feeding and soothing.
- First aid kit including thermometer.
- Nasal aspirator.
- Baby monitor.
In the WardrobeIs there anything cuter than a well dressed newborn? When it comes to dressing an infant, make sure to have a few basics on hand.
- One piece outfits, in both newborn and slightly larger sizes. Consider stocking up since babies often need a change of clothes and laundry may not be able to keep up!
- One piece pyjamas. Several pairs in newborn and larger sizes will see your baby through his/her first months.
- Socks and booties. Make sure your baby's toes are warm with several pairs of infant socks.
- Winter wear. If you have a winter baby, make them into a snow angel with the right sized sweaters, jacket, mittens and hat.
In the BathBathing can be tricky, but with the right equipment your water baby may never want to reach dry land again!
- Newborn/infant tub.
- Mild soap.
- Bath toy.
- Lotions, oil and/or baby powder.
- Baby nail clippers.
- Hooded towels for keeping your baby warm and dry after their bath.
For FeedingWhether your baby will be breastfed or bottle fed, certain necessities will be needed.
- Bottles and nipples.
- Breast pump.
- Breast milk storage bags.
- Bottle sterilizer.
- Nursing bras.
- Breast pads and shields.
- Nipple cream for Mum.
For a Trip to the Great OutdoorsWhen it is time to show your baby to the world, make sure you have the equipment to keep your precious bundle safe and happy.
- Car seat.
- Umbrella and blankets to bundle baby in.
- Infant sunscreen and sun hat.
- Soft toy for company.
For Settling In and Getting Some RestBabies sleeping patterns will be personal and unique. Buying a few "extras" in case of emergencies may come in handy.
- Books to read before bed time.
- CDs of soft music or lullabies.
- Soft lamp for late night feedings
Just For FunDon't forget that this is supposed to be fun! Stock up on some items that will help your memories last a lifetime.
- Baby book.
- Ink for baby's first hand and foot prints.
- Frames for baby's first photos.