How Can we See Our Grandson?

First of all, please accept my sympathies on the loss of your son. Losing a child is one of life’s most painful experiences and the difficulty must be that much harder because you are being kept from having a relationship with your grandson. I do hope that you are able to find a resolution that will bring you happiness and contentment.

From a legal standpoint, you have very little power as grandparents have no automatic right to see their grandchildren. The Grandparents Association has estimated that there are more than a million children in the UK who are not allowed to see their grandchildren.

While some of the parents who make a decision to separate their children from either their or their partner’s parents do so because of their feeling that the grandparents could have a detrimental affect on the kids, many more simply find it awkward or uncomfortable to maintain a connection with their ex’s family members.

Unfortunately, while grandparents suffer this loss, they are not the only ones. These children are denied close and loving bonds with their grandparents, people who, in all likelihood, want nothing more than to shower the children with love and affection.

There have been cases where grandparents have been able, with the assistance of a solicitor, to be granted some rights to their grandchildren, but this is most often when the natural parent(s) have shown themselves to be incapable of providing the children with safe and loving homes.

You have not indicated that your grandson’s mother is a danger to him, so it is not likely that you would have legal recourse.

At this point, it would seem that your best chances of re-establishing contact with your grandson is to somehow soften his mother’s stance.

If you have an idea of why she is keeping your grandson away from you, you may want to approach the topic directly with her and provide her with the assurances that she may need. Since she has been unwilling to return your calls and text messages, you might want to begin by sending her a detailed and heartfelt letter, expressing your love for the little boy as well as your desire to mend any hurt feelings that may exist between the two of you.

If you are unaware of any discord, it may be possible that she fears that your presence in their lives may make it difficult for her to develop and maintain a new romantic relationship and a closeness with her partner’s family.

If this turns out to be the case, all that you can do is to assure her that while you hope to be a part of your grandson’s life, you respect her desire to move on with her life and promise to support her need for an independent life, separate from the one that she shared with your son.

I wish you the very best in your quest to reunite with your grandson.

See Also
No Access
Grandparents who are Denied Access to Grandchildren
Lonely grandmother
Grandparents Kept from Their Grandchildren

Leave a comment